Friday, June 26, 2009

Day 10 - Happiness


Yes, it's a cliche. Money cannot buy happiness. Or can it? Nothing generates such passionate response as the question: what would you do if you won a million dollars? Sure I would love to have a few extra bucks, but I think that no amount of money can make you genuinely happy. We've all heard of stories of lottery winners who wished they'd never won the big ticket. Their friends turned on them, they were harrassed day and night. How many rich celebrities are in rehab or seeing therapists because they are depressed? To me I am happy with enough money to live comfortably but "more money, more problems" seems so often the case. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I wouldn't like a little more cash. But I'm already happy with my life. I love my family, my friends, my job. But if you think that money will make everything great, and if you only had $1 million you'd be so much happier, I'm fairly sure that the feeling will be short lived.

1 comment:

  1. While I'm sure I could find all manner of ways to spend a cool million, I'd be happy just to settle my current debt and pay for both my son's and my own education (with enough left over for a place to live) :-)

    But as you pointed out, money can't always buy happiness...

    ReplyDelete