Monday, June 29, 2009

Day 13 - Imagination

When I was young I enjoyed reading. There was something satisfying about picturing characters in my mind - what they looked like, the scenery, the lives they lived. This active visualization is much different than the passive mental process used to watch TV. To this day I prefer reading a book over seeing a movie of the same story.

So yes, I had a very active imagination as a child. I was one of those kids who would be content lying on the grass watching clouds drift by, seeing all sorts of interesting shapes forming, dissolving and morphing into stories. Perhaps this love of imagination is why I became interested in photography as an adult. 'Seeing' stories in everyday moments and representing them through still images is quite rewarding for me. Many people look at the world, but very few see anything.

Walking home today I came across this piece of driftwood on someone's front lawn. Immediately I thought 'polar bear'. Or dog. Or is it just an interesting piece of wood? Personally polar bear works for me.

Only one day left of 'what money can't buy' week. Whew.

2 comments:

  1. The first thing I thought when I saw that was "aww it's a bear"

    Love your photos, I just haven't gotten around to commenting you on twitter :)

    ReplyDelete