Monday, October 12, 2009

Day 111 - Outer Battery, St. John's


I had a great week in St. John's although the weather was miserable. Breaks in hard rain and fog were rare. On my arrival day I managed to check out the Outer Battery and the initial part of the Northhead Trail. This walk reveals houses carved into the steep slopes of Signal Hill, unique folk yard art and people hanging out their windows, sipping coffee, watching tourists pass. I heard the city provides funding to local residents to compensate for the flow of tourists crawling over their property though I have no confirmation of this. Some properties are well kept, others are in disrepair and still others are downright whimsical. Regardless, walking along Fort Waldegrave Path and Battery Road for the first time is a surreal experience you will not soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment